Maintenance Worker ICity of Pismo Beach
Imagine working in a beautiful city with an ideal climate and a daily view of the ocean. City of Pismo Beach is recruiting for a Maintenance Worker I position.
The ideal candidate will work well in a team environment, be self-motivated, professional, respectful, and provide excellent customer service to the public and co-workers. The candidate must possess skills and knowledge in one or more of the key maintenance areas of streets, parks or general building maintenance, including experience in landscape and irrigation.
The City of Pismo Beach is located along several miles of scenic Central Pacific Coastline in San Luis Obispo County. The City enjoys a temperate marine climate, smog free environment, beautiful beaches, and fine restaurants, hotels and shopping centers. The City enjoys impressive fiscal strength and benefits from strong political stability. A high quality of life, a low crime rate, and a strong sense of community pride make Pismo Beach a wonderful place to work and live.
The City of Pismo Beach is seeking applicants that will be committed to our employee value statement: Pride in Service - Integrity in Action. To find out more about working in the City of Pismo Beach, please see the recruitment videos on the City's website, at https://pismobeach.org/236/Human-Resources.
Under direct or general supervision, performs a variety of work in the construction, modification, maintenance, and repair of City infrastructure, including streets, traffic controls and structures, storm drains, parks, landscapes, the City pier, beaches, and facilities; provides assistance with set-up and removal of equipment and facilities at special events; uses and operates a variety of manual and power tools and light to heavy power driven equipment; and performs related work as required.
Examples of Essential Job Functions
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
When performing the street maintenance:
- Performs construction, maintenance, and repair activities of City streets and roadways, pier, and beaches to ensure safe and efficient access for the public, including alleys, sidewalks, storm drains, curbs and gutters, and beach access stairways.
- Participates in asphalt maintenance, including the demolishing and preparing of areas to be resurfaced; applying, raking, compacting, and paving appropriate materials to the surface, and cleaning up areas.
- Participates in the sealing of cracks, including cleaning and preparing surfaces with the appropriate equipment and applying crack sealing material and applicable chemicals to the surface.
- Participates in concrete maintenance, including attending to trip hazards, demolishing and removing concrete, and forming, pouring, and finishing sidewalks, handicap ramps, curbs, and gutters.
- Provides installation, maintenance, and repair of traffic signs, including making signs, and installing sign posts and signs in accordance with Federal, State, and City codes; trims vegetation around signs.
- Performs various beach and pier maintenance functions; cleans, rakes, sanitizes, and removes deceased marine life; repairs and/or replaces lifeguard towers, steps, rails, landings, and supports.
- Inspects City premises for graffiti vandalism and uses appropriate chemicals and high-pressure equipment to remove graffiti.
- Performs legend painting and striping of City streets and parking lots using appropriate materials.
- Installs street barricades and cones and controls traffic around work sites and special events to ensure safe conditions for the general public and City workers.
- Performs a variety of weed abatement duties to eliminate hazards to vehicles and pedestrians as necessary.
When performing the parks maintenance:
- Performs construction, maintenance, and repair activities of City parks to ensure safe and efficient access for the public, including park facilities and buildings, sports fields, open spaces, recreation trails, landscapes, playgrounds and equipment, irrigation systems and controllers, rodent control, and weed abatement.
- Performs turf maintenance duties, including watering, mowing, weeding, trimming, aerating, renovating, and fertilizing turf.
- Performs shrub and flower bed maintenance, including planting, watering, fertilizing, and maintaining landscaped areas such as bushes, trees, flowers, and shrubs; performs weed abatement using a chemical sprayer.
- Trims and prunes bushes, trees, and shrubs to provide clearance of sidewalks and signs, as well as to ensure the continued health of the bush, tree, or shrub.
- Performs tree trimming and removal services, including pruning branches, grinding tree stumps to ground level, and removing trees safely and efficiently; removes fallen trees, stumps, fallen limbs, and related debris resulting from storm damage and general conditions.
- Performs a variety of duties in the maintenance and repair of the irrigation system; changes and adjust sprinkler heads; maintains controllers; designs modifications to and performs irrigation system installation and maintenance projects.
- Maintains playground equipment, picnic tables, barbecue pits, public address equipment, and related parks equipment and facilities; installs and repairs playground equipment, fences, trail fences, and related parks equipment and facilities; inspects playgrounds for hazardous objects to ensure the safety of the public.
- Performs pest control measures; measures, mixes, and applies chemicals to trees, shrubs, grass, and flowers to control weeds, insects, and plant diseases.
- Paints park buildings and other facilities; removes graffiti in parks and in other areas.
- Rakes leaves and clears debris from walks, fields, and other facilities; picks up trash.
- Cleans and maintains restrooms; stocks restrooms with necessary supplies; repairs toilets, urinals, and faucets.
- When performing the facilities maintenance:
- Performs routine maintenance and alterations on City buildings and facilities; identifies and evaluates construction-related problems; repairs and/or renovates structures; installs and repairs ceiling tiles, floor tiles, linoleum, and/or carpet; hangs doors; repairs sheet rock; repairs and patches roofs and paints or stains as necessary; performs other related tasks.
- Performs installation and repairs on plumbing lines and fixtures; replaces broken pipes, cleans plugged drains, replaces washers and gaskets, replaces faucets and valves, cleans grease traps, and flushes sewer lines; installs, maintains, and repairs drains, water lines, hot water heaters, and garbage disposals.
- Performs basic maintenance on City electrical systems; repairs and replaces light bulbs and electrical fixtures; troubleshoots, repairs, and runs circuits; identifies circuits and calculates circuit loads; tests voltages, ohms, grounds, neutral, and common wires.
- Repairs block/brick structures, replaces grout and repairs cracks; patches cement, constructs forms, and pours concrete for small jobs such as walkways or slab repair.
- Sets up rooms and equipment for classes, parties, conferences, meetings, and other functions; moves and arranges furniture.
- Performs general custodial work, including cleaning and sanitizing restroom facilities and fixtures, sweeping, vacuuming, moping, waxing, striping, and polishing floors and carpets, dusting and polishing furniture, woodwork, fixtures, and equipment, washing windows, mirrors, and walls and cleaning furniture and counter tops; empties, cleans, and sanitizes waste and recycle bins.
When performing all assignments:
- Inspects assigned City infrastructure for safety issues, structural integrity, and possible future work projects and programs, and appropriately marks areas that need to be repaired.
- Operates and maintains specialized vehicles and a variety of light, medium, and heavy equipment related to the construction, maintenance, and repair of construction systems and facilities.
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools and equipment related to work assignment as instructed.
- Observes safe work methods and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required.
- Maintains public facilities, shop and garage areas, storage sites, and other work areas in a clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday.
- Conducts traffic control when working in high traffic areas of the City; installs street barricades and cones prior to the performance of maintenance or repair activities or around special events to ensure safe conditions for the general public and City workers; directs and controls traffic around work sites.
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
- Maintains accurate logs and records of work performed and materials and equipment used.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Basic principals, practices, tools, and materials as they relate to the maintenance and repair of infrastructure, facilities, systems, and appurtenances similar to those in a municipal environment.
- Basic mathematics.
- Safe driving rules and practices.
- Basic computer software related to work.
- English usage, spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and City staff.
- Perform basic construction, modification, maintenance, and repair work.
- Troubleshoot maintenance problems and determine materials and supplies required for repair.
- Make accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Safely and effectively use and operate hand tools, mechanical equipment, power tools, and light to heavy equipment required for the work.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance.
- Maintain accurate logs, records, and basic written records of work performed.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade. One (1) year of general maintenance experience related to the area of assignment is desirable.
Licenses and Certifications:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver's License by time of appointment.