Academic Learning Specialist
Academic Learning Specialist
Florida International University is a top public university that drives real talent and innovation in Miami and globally. Very high research (R1) activity and high social mobility come together at FIU to uplift and accelerate learner success in a global city by focusing in the areas of environment, health, innovation, and justice. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers. FIU serves a diverse student body of more than 56,000 and 290,000 Panther alumni. U.S. News and World Report places dozens of FIU programs among the best in the nation, including international business at No. 2. Washington Monthly Magazine ranks FIU among the top 20 public universities contributing to the public good.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking an Academic Learning Specialist to join our team of professionals.
- Provides individual consultation and enrichment services to assist students who are identified as exhibiting signs of academic difficulty. Provides these same services to self-referred students.
- Explores students individual learning preferences and works with them to develop active learning and study strategies that are appropriate for their needs and optimizes their learning.
- Maintains student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and keeps accurate documentation of sessions, meetings, and other communications as appropriate.
- Assists in the development of comprehensive plans for teaching students effective study strategies for high stakes exams. (e.g., Step exams, Clerkship exams, and NBME exams).
- Develops and delivers workshops and online modules to enhance active learning strategies in a diverse student population using evidence-based learning strategies.
- Provides appropriate referrals to various university support services such as tutoring, personal counseling and/or mental health services, FIU Disability Resource Center, academic advising, and career advising and assists students with connecting with these referrals.
- Maintains a strong knowledge of the Curriculum Map, Scope, and Sequence of each block and its respective content to support students.
- Seeks out new and innovative curricula, texts, and technological applications to benefit student learning.
- Ensures students are aware of learning management tools and resources provided by the college.
- Meets with the student and educational affairs and student affairs teams on a regular basis to ensure the continued success of all students.
- Prepares general programmatic data and remediation information for faculty and OME leadership, as needed, to inform potential improvements to the MD curriculum.
- Collects relevant programmatic data through the monitoring of trends in student needs related to particular blocks, learning objectives, and other content that require enhanced learning techniques.
- Assists with training and development of peer student tutors.
- Supports and attends student functions as appropriate (i.e., peer lead tutoring sessions, orientation, graduation, and etc.).
- Performs other related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor's degree and six (6) years of appropriate experience, or Master's degree and four (4) years of experience.
- Master's or Ed.D./ Ph.D. degree, preferably with a focus in cognitive and learning skills and adult education.
- Adept in assessing individual students learning skills and their ability to effectively learn.
- Significant experience in academic counseling and/or learning support with undergraduate, graduate or medical school student population is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to be able to work collaboratively with students, course directors, faculty and staff within the medical education and student affairs administrative teams.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information or to apply, please visit us on-line at http://careers.fiu.edu and reference job opening ID JOBID: 529502.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access, Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.