Director of Alumni Relations
Director of Alumni Relations
The George Mason University Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations invites qualified candidates to apply for a new full-time position, Director of Alumni Relations. The division is a comprehensive development and alumni relations enterprise with a staff complement of approximately 135 full-time employees. Functional units within Advancement and Alumni Relations include development/fundraising, alumni relations, donor relations and stewardship, advancement communications, special events, gift processing, research, prospect management, gift planning, corporate and foundation relations, information systems and management, and infrastructure services.
The mission of Alumni Relations is to serve as a conduit between the Alumni Association/alumni community and the university to facilitate strong bonds of mutual loyalty. The Office of Alumni Relations is committed to working collaboratively with partners and stakeholders to provide quality customer service, engagement opportunities, and advocacy through outreach and communication.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position also offers:
- Potential for flexible telework and hybrid telework scheduling;
- Competitive salary; and
- Outstanding benefits including:
- Health & life insurance, multiple industry-leading retirement plans available including state VRS Hybrid Retirement Plan, accrued paid days off per year, paid holidays, paid winter break, paid sick leave, professional development, tuition reimbursement at GMU, and employee assistance programs.
- Working with the AVP of Alumni Relations the Director will develop, execute, evaluate, and refine a strategic plan and a comprehensive engagement strategy for all alumni programming to increase and promote alumni engagement;
- Oversee the implementation, execution, and measurement of the strategy and related metrics;
- Evaluate the success of alumni events and programming, and consistently refine strategy to reflect increased Return on Engagement (ROE) and Return on Investment (ROI);
- Actively supports the Alumni Association Board as appropriate and as directed by AVP for Alumni Relations;
- Oversee the alumni sponsorship and partnership program and work with Corporate and Foundation Relations and external partners to identify and procure sponsorships and partners for the Office of Alumni Relations and the George Mason University Alumni Association;
- This is a supervisory role with four direct reports; and
- The Director is expected to work closely with development colleagues in the Office of Advancement, and to collaborate with communications, special events, faculty, and other key internal partners.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university and/or the equivalent level of training and experience;
- Significant progressively responsible alumni relations/engagement experience including successfully gathering data, and using research and industry trends/standards to develop initiatives that support alumni engagement;
- Experience successfully developing alumni engagement metrics which lead to increased alumni giving and participation;
- Experience planning and implementing small and large-scale events and programs;
- Experience in volunteer management and program assessment and evaluation;
- Experience managing a complex portfolio of tasks and deadlines while remaining organized, and prioritizing effectively;
- Skill in the use of technology and social media platforms;
- Strong strategic, organizational and project management skills; and ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to demonstrate significant attention to detail and perform work with a high degree of accuracy;
- Experience managing, educating, and evaluating personnel;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals;
- Strong commitment to cultivating a collaborative team environment; and
- Strong commitment to providing quality customer service.
- Master’s degree in a related field;
- 8+ years progressively responsible alumni relations/engagement experience; and
- Experience in Higher Education.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA42KZ at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.