Local Multimedia Sales
McC The Tribune
San Luis Obispo, CA
Posted on October 13, 2017
Under general supervision, responsible for increasing print and online advertising revenue and active customer base through the sale and service of The Tribune and www.sanluisobispo.com products and advertising packages to local businesses. Position is heavily focused on prospecting and cold calling in the field for lead generation from non-active accounts. The Account Executive directs the entire sales process from account identification to close of sale and handles ongoing maintenance of accounts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Prospect and call on potential new clients to sell print and online advertising on sanluisobispo.com and into Tribune publications with the goal of meeting or exceeding sales quotas.
Utilize consultative selling skills including prospecting, fact finding, proposal writing, and presentation skills. Identify customer needs through needs analysis calls and create customized presentations that illustrate how sanluisobispo.com and print products can fulfill those needs. Follow consultative sales process from active prospecting and planning through customer needs analysis, idea generation, presentation, sales close and account development.
Develops, prioritizes and maintains an updated prospect list. Decides on approach and strategy for each prospect and schedules visits. Regularly scans competitive media for qualified prospects. Proactively uncovers opportunities using industry, competitive, market and advertiser data sources. Includes prospecting strategies, activities and growth goals in territory and sales plans. Identifies non-traditional sources for prospects. Leverages internal coaches, gatekeepers and other contacts to open new doors and gather prospecting information.
- Gain and demonstrate a solid understanding of customer needs through market data, competitive media and other research in order to prepare sales materials.
- Develop a strategic territorial plan which includes both creative short and long term sales strategies to increase Tribune print and online revenue.
- Prepare and provide a competitive media analysis for assigned accounts and develop corresponding Tribune product presentations and/or campaigns for advertisers.
- Respond to inquiry calls, supplying rate and product information verbally or through presentations of media kits and to follow-up on such calls in order to determine customer needs and evaluate their potential.
- Follow consultative sales process with existing and prospective clients including making formal presentations to groups or individuals.
- Continually enhance product and business knowledge including The Tribune’s online products, competitive media products and websites, market data and research. Educate clients, fulfilling role as marketing expert.
- Quote accurate rates, negotiate and sign contracts in a timely manner and complete insertion orders. Fulfill paperwork and track revenue, contract expirations and verify performance of print and online advertisements.
- Actively network in professional community by attending Chamber of Commerce events, business, trade group or local industry functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field such as Business, Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Liberal Arts or equivalent related experience in Marketing and/or Sales. Candidate must be analytical, highly motivated, persuasive, and have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Typically requires a minimum of two to three years experience in outside sales preferably in online, newspapers or other media advertising. Demonstrated success in prospecting and cold-calling.
- Requires thorough understanding of The Tribune products and the sales and manufacturing process. Understanding of syndicated research and competitors.
- Superior presentation skills. Enjoys developing creative uses of the Internet and print and online ad products to deliver innovative print and online media proposals that meet clients’ business objectives.
- Requires proficiency at consultative selling and an ability to negotiate win win solutions for The Tribune and its advertisers. Requires the ability to articulate complex data and sell with comparative media data.
- Requires excellent leadership, presentation, marketing, negotiation and closing skills.
- Requires computer proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and the Internet.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the internet advertising landscape including contextual and behavioral targeting along with internet ad serving and delivery.
- Requires a valid CA driver’s license, auto insurance and dependable vehicle.