Learning Skills Specialist
Learning Skills Specialist
Yakima, WA • Student Affairs
Applicants for all positions will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 during the hiring process. Valid medical or religious exemptions will be considered.
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) was founded as a 501(c) (3) non-profit medical institution in 2005 aimed at increasing access to health care in medically underserved areas of the Pacific Northwest.
The University currently offers the degrees of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Doctor of Physical Therapy, and Master of Arts in Medical Science enrolling over 550 students annually with plans to develop other programs and/or colleges. Interprofessional education partnerships with other universities adds another 100 students to the population. The campus includes 300 employees with academic programming spread over a five state region.
PNWU is located in Yakima, WA, a city of approximately 95,000 located in the south central part of the state near the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains in a major agricultural and outdoor recreation region. It is approximately 140 miles from Seattle, 170 miles from Portland, and 200 miles from Spokane. The Yakima Valley is a wonderful place to live, work and play. For more information, visit https://www.visityakima.com/.
The Learning Skills Specialist assists students with achieving their true potential. Under the general direction of the Director of Student Success and Disability Services (DSSDS), the Learning Skills Specialist (LSS) provides leadership and directs academic retention services; works with the DSSDS to facilitate identification of students with potential learning disabilities in addition to program development for at-risk medical students enrolled at PNWU who are not achieving standard academic progress.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop, facilitate and/or teach individual and group sessions, workshops, and review courses to assist medical students with processing course content
- Meet with students individually as needed to provide consultation, coaching, and/or referral with respect to academic success strategies
- Develops, facilitates and/or teaches group sessions and/or workshops to assist students with academic success strategies
- Develop and oversee student tutorial and recitation program, sessions, tutors, and recitation leaders
- Provides writing tutoring and assist students with professional bio and Curriculum Vitae, research proposals, personal statements, and capstone projects
- Provides appropriate referral services and prepares comprehensive reports for submission to the appropriate academic program leadership, committees, or other appropriate entities on behalf of the students and serves as a resource
- Understands accreditation standards and expectations specific to the department and adheres to policies and procedures to meet or exceed such standards
- Conducts self appropriately and consistently in accordance with the philosophy and mission of PNWU
- Other duties as assigned
- Required: Doctorate or Master’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Learning Disabilities or related field
- Five (5) years of related experience in a college-level student support service preferably in a learning skills service; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Background in counseling skills
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Strong organization, interpersonal, and planning skills; strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to work in a team and flexibility to work with others in a variety of circumstances; ability to problem solve by analyzing issues and creating action plans; ability to manage projects and people and prioritize and self-direct workflow; ability to work with and manage different computer programs and databases; and ability to schedule activities and/or meetings.
To ensure full consideration submit:
- A letter of introduction outlining background and qualifications for the position
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
The job announcement above is not the full job description, but represents the job responsibilities and requirements. A full job description can be provided upon request.
PNWU offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees first of the month following date of hire and competitive salary.
For information about life in Yakima visit our PNWU page.
PNWU is a drug-free workplace, equal opportunity employer and educational institution. To request this publication in an alternative format, or to apply in an alternative format, please call Human Resources, 509.452.5100.